Ahold Delhaize Group is one of the biggest supermarket groups in the world. As part of its strategy was to expand its operations across Europe, Marios Sophroniou through his knowledge of the Greek market and being aware of the fact that the founder and CEO of AB Vassilopoulos Supermarket, at the time the biggest supermarket in Greece, had no viable heir apparent to assume the reins of the company, initiated discussions between the two parties.
Actions undertaken by Marios Sophroniou for Delhaize Group:
• Advised as to the strategy and tactics for negotiations and assisted in the negotiations;
• Advised and assisted in the determination of the value of the shares to be acquired;
• Liaised with the company;
• Analysed the public information and information prepared by the company;
• Developed a general strategy for accomplishing the acquisition; including the structuring of the terms and conditions of the acquisition and coordinating its advice with that of legal, tax and other advisers.
AB Vassilopoulos remains a key subsidiary of the Ahold Delhaize Group; with a network of 500 stores across Greece generating €2 billion in revenues.